POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tricky rendering problem : Re: A tricky rendering problem Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tricky rendering problem
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Apr 2009 09:26:14
Message: <49ddf776@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Amusingly, many of the algorithmic steps appear to be identical to what
> I came up with myself. What I don't have is a special
> algorithmic stage to rearrange the nodes (since I explicitly don't
> *want* their horizontal positioning rearranged for these particular
> graphs), and a stage for properly routing the edges (which is why they
> keep intersecting things).

Mmm, how ingenious. They add extra "invisible" nodes to each row that an
edge passes through, and then jiggle the invisible nodes around as a
means for deciding how to route the edge.

Of course, they then apply a complex algorithm to decide exactly how to
produce the best possible spline path through the general area reserved.
I doubt I'll go to that much trouble. But I could certainly use
invisible nodes to avoid unecessary intersections...