POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tricky rendering problem : Re: A tricky rendering problem Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:56:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tricky rendering problem
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Apr 2009 04:17:11
Message: <49ddaf07$1@news.povray.org>
>> It's... encouraging to know that I accidentally managed to get so much
>> nearly right.
>
> Well, algorithmic ideas for many problems are almost always intuitive and
> straightforward enough and only implementations differ.

I don't know about that.

You have a tree of nodes. You need to place them so they don't overlap.
How do you do that?

It wasn't at all obvious to me how to do that. In fact, my layout
algorithm takes each subtree and draws an invisible box around it, large
enough to contain the entire subtree. This results in many nodes being
shoved too far left or right - much further than actually necessary.
There's probably a way around that, but I haven't found it yet.

> The real question is:  is it in Haskell? :)

Well *duh*! :-P