POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : inittab vs. Upstart and other questions [Ubuntu] : Re: inittab vs. Upstart and other questions [Ubuntu] Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: inittab vs. Upstart and other questions [Ubuntu]
From: Darren New
Date: 8 Apr 2009 16:07:11
Message: <49dd03ef$1@news.povray.org>
How Camp wrote:
> *Is* there such a thing as a runlevel for Ubuntu?

I haven't seen a UNIX without a runlevel concept, since it escaped AT&T. :-)

> If so, how do I
> determine what runlevel I'm currently at?

You have an inittab in ubuntu? Look at the line that says something like
id:2:initdefault:
to see that you default to runlevel 2.

You use the telinit program to change runlevels. It sends signals to process
1, which is init.

> Aha!  This makes more sense.  Does this mean I can basically add any homemade
> script I want into the init.d directory?  For example, I could write a script
> to write periodic statistics to a log file...?

Yes. It needs to start a long-running job. To get it to run with different
runlevels, you need to get it into the rc.d directory of the appropriate
number with the appropriate thingies on the front of the file name. Grope
around in there to see what I mean.  There ought to be some sort of tool to
do this for you.

> Okay, that makes sense.  If I *am* running GNOME, then can I disable some of the
> shells?

I would think so, yes. You can disable all but one, even in text mode, if
you really want.

> Thanks, Darren, for the help.  (And patience!)

No problem.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)