POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A tricky rendering problem : Re: A tricky rendering problem Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A tricky rendering problem
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Apr 2009 07:53:59
Message: <49dc9057@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
> You might take a look at GraphViz if you haven't done so already:
> http://www.graphviz.org/
>
> I bet you'd find in their papers plenty of ideas to make a better
> rendering... Assuming you want to do it by yourself and not just use
> existing tools.

I did take a look at the "dot" tool - but it tends to produce utterly
horrid graphs. I mean, *astonishingly* bad graphs.

So I set about attempting to write my own. But, while it does strictly
speaking _work_, it leaves a lot to be desired. (A particular problem is
overlapping lines.)

The trouble is, I want to draw some graphs. Building a graph drawing
engine is only a secondary goal; the major goal is building the program
that produces the graphs in the first place. So I'm trying to do it
quickly... but I want it to look reasonable. Hmm.