POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quick Linux Question : Re: Quick Linux Question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quick Linux Question
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Apr 2009 14:39:02
Message: <49da4c46$1@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=asynchronous+IO+linux

I take it you didn't actually read past the first line of the question? :-)

"A more subtle problem with non-blocking I/O is that it generally doesn't
work with regular files."

Given there are about 8 ways to do asynch I/O, none of which seem to work
with regular files, I was wondering if there was a 9th yet, or whether one
just does blocking I/O in a thread, which scales poorly but is good enough
for my application.

> Apparently there is a POSIX library for this stuff, with kernel support
> from 2.6 onward. Perhaps that could be of use.

Yeah, and the second link on the page you gave says "It sucks and its
broken." :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)