POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling the Earth's shape : Re: Modelling the Earth's shape Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling the Earth's shape
From: Rarius
Date: 6 Apr 2009 14:14:32
Message: <49da4688$1@news.povray.org>
"Jellby" <me### [at] privacynet> wrote in message
news:trj### [at] badulaqueunexes...
> Among other things, Chris B saw fit to write:
>
>> It's a bit convoluted, so there may be a better way but:
>>
>> You could use a tiff as an image_map in a pigment. So with map_type 1 you
>> get a spherical pigment and can use it in a function.
>> Combining that function and a sphere function in an Isosurface you should
>> be able to get what you want. You could parameterise it and make it pulse
>> or add other functions to make it wiggle etc.
>
> I did that already, but with a 16-bit PGM instead of tiff, as I said in my
> first message. The drawback is that since it is an isosurface it is very
> slow. Building a mesh from the data would be better, but at the resolution
> I need/want the macros/parsing don't seem to work fine (but I guess I have
> enough memory, I can use the image_map after all, and there are 2GB in the
> machine).

I think the problem with your isosurface is that you are using too high a
resolution for the image map... Assuming you arent going to render this at a
stupidly large resolution like 32000x24000, the details on your image map
will be smaller than the pixels in the resulting image.

I just rendered up an image at 1024x768 AA 0.3 using the isosurface
technique and a 4000x2000 image map and it rendered in just over a minute on
my Q6600.

Rarius