POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Modelling the Earth's shape : Re: Modelling the Earth's shape Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modelling the Earth's shape
From: Chris B
Date: 6 Apr 2009 10:02:50
Message: <49da0b8a$1@news.povray.org>
"Jellby" <me### [at] privacynet> wrote in message
news:i4a### [at] badulaqueunexes...
> Amongs other things, clipka saw fit to write:
>
>> For a truly *realistic* shape, just use a plain sphere and bump mapping -
>> you'll not notice the difference anyway. We're talking about roughly
>> 1.4/1000th of the radius.
>
> Erm... yes, sorry, you are perfectly right and I knew that. I really
> didn't
> mean realistic to that extent, in other words, I want to (greatly)
> exaggerate the relief :)

It's a bit convoluted, so there may be a better way but:

You could use a tiff as an image_map in a pigment. So with map_type 1 you
get a spherical pigment and can use it in a function.
Combining that function and a sphere function in an Isosurface you should be
able to get what you want. You could parameterise it and make it pulse or
add other functions to make it wiggle etc.

I did a quick Google and found an example by Ron Parker at
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/8764/spovraydjgpp.html (bottom
right).   Although it says it's for 3.1g with a patch, I believe that
something similar should work with an unpatched 3.6.1 or 3.7 Beta (I didn't
try it though).

Regards,
Chris B.