POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Monte Carlo Minesweeper : Re: Monte Carlo Minesweeper Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Monte Carlo Minesweeper
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 4 Apr 2009 21:13:05
Message: <49d805a1$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> The lower one has at least 5 positions where you will end up having a
> 50% change and no additional information. The change of surviving this
> minefield are therefore below 3%.

It's not quite as bad as it looks since the groups on the upper right
are actually connected to the large unsolved section, so it should be
possible to solve them indirectly by starting at the lower probability
blocks on the lower right.  The two on the left there's nothing you can
do about though.

> Perhaps you can employ something like this to find grids
> that can be solved with a reasonable chance.

I've thought about this too since the 50% guess patterns are pretty
annoying.  I probably won't end up actually getting around to it unless
I get a spurt of renewed interest, but it's a neat idea.