POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? : Re: Innovative open source? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Innovative open source?
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 4 Apr 2009 02:26:43
Message: <49d6fda3$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Why does order matter in argument lists, if the arguments all need
> distinct names anyway? :-)

So you can call the function without explicitly naming the parameters,
thus reducing the amount of typing required.

Personally, I like the style where arguments can be passed in order (in
which case the names don't matter) or by name (in which case the order
doesn't matter).  Python sort does this, with a few restrictions, and
it's seemed pretty intuitive and useful to me.

Thinking back, didn't objective-C use named parameters only for calling
object methods?  Did the order matter there?  I can't really remember.