POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Damn I hate open source : Re: Damn I hate open source Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Damn I hate open source
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Apr 2009 00:32:28
Message: <49d6e2dc$1@news.povray.org>
pan wrote:
>  So, contribute to the open source projects.

Well, duh! Why else would I be trying to find documentation on how the
source code is organized and where to find various classes and interfaces?

> You like to see the kind of documentation you want, write it.

That attitude is exactly the *cause* of the problem. By the time I have
learned enough to be able to write that documentation, it's no longer a
benefit to me to write the documentation. That's *exactly* the way in which
this sort of open source fails.

However, it's pretty trivial to write that sort of documentation if you're
the original author of the code, and takes far less time than actually
writing the code or deciding what it should do or how it should be organized.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)