POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? : Re: Innovative open source? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Innovative open source?
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Apr 2009 00:26:12
Message: <49d6e164$1@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler wrote:
> would give me {"a":"foo", "b":"bar", "c":"baz"} where the order matters
>  so D[1] gives "bar"?

It has been a while, but I think so, yes.

> If so, then what happens in the following case:

IIRC, if you use integer keys, you get what you'd expect.

Note that you can iterate over a list without giving specific indexes, so it
might work that you say
   foreach key, value in D {print key,value}
and you get
   3 foo / 2 bar / 1 baz
or something like that. It has been too long for me to remember.

> said I do sometimes like the C++ stl approach of maintaining an ordering
> in a map based on the natural order of its elements.

That's another way to do it. Or at least make hashes with equal contents
iterate in identical order.

> I actually have used this in python a few times, using a custom class
> rather than a straight dict of course.  Unfortunately I can't remember
> why I needed it.

If you're making a dict (in particular a class namespace) that you're going
to translate into (for example) SOAP or a COM interface or something, I can
see where it would be helpful.  That's what some of the Python 3.0
extensions were about.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)