POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team : Re: Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team
From: Saul Luizaga
Date: 3 Apr 2009 21:41:58
Message: <49d6bae6@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> Those are my sentiments, too. The program is *so* amazing (and I spend so much
> wonderful time at it) that I would like to donate as well. Yet I see the
> logistical problems that have been mentioned here (who to give it to, how it
> would be distributed among POV-team members past and present, etc.)

This matter is internal to the POV-Team so it shouldn't concern us IMO,
they will find a way to make a simple distribution after programming
POV-Ray.

> But one thing hasn't been mentioned yet: Say one of us writes a piece of
> commercial software that incorporates POV-Ray as its "rendering engine" (or
> whatever.) If I'm not mistaken, there are legal mechanisms already in place
> whereby the "POV-Ray entity" (corporation, or whatever it is) profits from that
> in some way. So it seems to me that there might be some kind of monetary
> distribution scheme already in place, re: the development team. IF so, I can't
> see how voluntary donations would be much different from that, insofar as how
> the donations might be distributed.
>
> KW

I've read that one one is to hire 1 or more POV-Team members for
personalized or modified versions of POV-Ray for comercial or private
uses, but yeah, that is good but would deviate the POV-Team from their
main task.

Ironic enough, I have seen donationware that I would ashamed to ask
money for, also many projects in sourceforge.net are donationware and
they're rather simple compared to POV-Ray so those and other reasons led
me to suggest it for POV-Ray.