POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? : Re: Innovative open source? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Innovative open source?
From: nemesis
Date: 3 Apr 2009 17:08:30
Message: <49d67ace$1@news.povray.org>
andrel escreveu:
> On 3-4-2009 18:40, Darren New wrote:
>> Please, this is not a troll. It's a serious question that isn't meant
>> to imply the answer is "no."
>
> 'No' would be a strange answer to your question anyway.
>
>> What are some other cool open-source projects that didn't take their
>> design from existing products?  I.e., ones where the open source
>> software was the first thing to do things that way?
>
> POV and Blender?

Blender started life as an in-house, proprietary tool.  When the company
was closing doors, they realized the tool was quite complete and good
enough perhaps not for going commercial, but at least to serve as the
basis for an open-source project.  And so they realized an online
auction and when a certain ammount was gathered, they did release the
source under the GPL.

The community literally bought a former proprietary product and
open-sourced it.  Even Stallman gone hurrah. :)

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9