POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? : Re: Innovative open source? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Innovative open source?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Apr 2009 14:48:44
Message: <49d65a0c$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 14:16:44 -0300, nemesis wrote:

> Not many I can think of.  Certainly a lot of cool ideas come from
> academic research projects, like in language design.  But truthfully,
> most open-source contributors are really more interested in
> reimplementing existing ideas.  You know, it's much easier when people
> already elaborated and a design and thought out all the details.
>
> I think it'll never stop.  It's like the wine and mono guys trying
> desperately to implement Microsoft things, always one step behind.

Well, reimplementation of ideas is a cyclic theme in IT and software
development - period.

I think what you describe isn't "most open-source contributors" but most
developers.

There has been some really innovative work done in the OSS development
circles around virtualization, but the idea of virtualization goes back
to mainframes and systems like VMS.  That doesn't mean there's no
innovation going on in XEN or KVM in Linux, for example.

Jim