POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? : Re: Innovative open source? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Innovative open source?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Apr 2009 14:46:31
Message: <49d65987$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 11:21:38 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Well, it didn't start as open source, but now under the GPL (well,
>> dual- licensed) is Novell's FLAIM database.  I don't know of any other
>> database like it.
>
> There was one a few years ago for doing XML searches. Called Verity or
> something, I think. Sounds like this:
> http://livedocs.adobe.com/coldfusion/6.1/htmldocs/mkvdk22.htm but maybe
> I'm seeing something else called verity.

Interesting.

> Used it for giant XML databases (like, all the US patents, all the SEC
> filings, etc). FLAIM looks much nicer.  I'd have to study it closely to
> see if it has surprisingly new features or something, but it's good to
> know it's out there.

At Novell, marketing isn't exactly our strong point - even the coolest
technology we have is virtually unknown. :-)

The history of FLAIM goes back to the LDS Church as I understand it; it
was originally developed for genealogical database structures, so it
scales extremely well with structured hierarchical data.

That it moved into the directory service space was almost a totally
natural thing for it.  The technology came to Novell when we acquired
WordPerfect.

>> There aren't many people who understand it very thoroughly (and I'm not
>> one of them).
>
> Looks useful to know about, yes. Thanks!

No problem. :-)

Jim