POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team : Re: Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:55:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Apr 2009 13:28:52
Message: <49d64754$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> That's not what I said.  The tax paid based on the sale of stuff at $20
> each you collect sales tax for.

Yes. That has nothing to do with income tax, tho, so I'm not sure why you
bring it up.

> If some portion of that translates into
> personal income, then you have to pay personal income tax on that,
> obviously.

Even tho it isn't reported, right? :-)

> But a local gas station has to have a business license, and in order to
> have that, doesn't it have to be registered as some sort of corporation?

No.  A corporation is a separate entity.  That's orthogonal to whether you
need a license to do business.

> You seemed to be suggesting that she would have had to meet with people
> from the IRS.

Uh, no. I said you have to get permission from the feds. That doesn't imply
meeting with them. It just implies that you follow the rules for them to
approve it.

>>> So I'm not clear as to how we're getting them conflated.
>> Because an individual can't be a non-profit organization?
>
> Well, if I was going to be facetious about it, I'd point out that there
> are plenty of people who personally don't make a profit. ;-)  But I see
> what you're saying.

There are plenty of for-profit corporations that don't make a profit either.
I'm talking about the rules. :-)

All I'm saying is, a 503(c) is (usually) in the form of a corporation, and
certainly is a distinct entity (perhaps a partnership or a non-revocable
trust) and not an individual.  I'm also claiming that there are moneys that
are never reported to the IRS that you nevertheless have to pay tax on,
whether you're a corporation or an individual sole proprietor.

>> It doesn't work that way. If you're a sole proprietor, you don't have a
>> separate EIN for the business.
>
> K, I'll take your word for that.

If you do, it's either a partnership or a corporation. That's why it's
called a "corporation", see, because it has a "body" separate from you.

>>> That
>>> way if the business tanks, it's the business' finances that are hosed
>>> and not your personal when you file for bankruptcy.
>> That would be a corporation.
>
> Yes.

It's a good idea. It's just not required. :-)

> Well, I was thinking the latter was a subset of the former.

No. :-)

> It's apparently a good thing I'm not a tax consultant. ;-)

Yes. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)