POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? : Re: Innovative open source? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Innovative open source?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Apr 2009 13:09:40
Message: <49d642d4$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 09:40:45 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Any other innovative languages, databases, etc? Something that one could
> learn cool new ideas from by just reading the documentation (assuming
> documentation exists ;-)?

Well, it didn't start as open source, but now under the GPL (well, dual-
licensed) is Novell's FLAIM database.  I don't know of any other database
like it.

http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?flaim

The successor, x-flaim is something of a hybrid of XML and the older
FLAIM engine.  Very high scalability and fast searches; it's used as the
backend data store for eDirectory, GroupWise, and iFolder (iFolder being
open sourced is why FLAIM was).

There aren't many people who understand it very thoroughly (and I'm not
one of them).

Jim