POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Innovative open source? : Innovative open source? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 23:13:17 EDT (-0400)
  Innovative open source?
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Apr 2009 12:40:47
Message: <49d63c0f$1@news.povray.org>
Please, this is not a troll. It's a serious question that isn't meant to
imply the answer is "no."

What are some other cool open-source projects that didn't take their design
from existing products?  I.e., ones where the open source software was the
first thing to do things that way?

The ones I can think of offhand are Ruby, Python, CouchDB, maybe VFS file
system, Singularity (if you count that as open source)...  I think there was
another cool large-scale database system I'm forgetting, and probably a PL
or two...

I don't count the Linux kernel, GNOME or KDE, Emacs, GCC, MySQL, Hadoop,
etc., because all these things look and act (from the outside) significantly
like that which they're based on. While some of the stuff the "cloud" folks
are doing is very cool, I don't think it counts as Open Source.

Any other innovative languages, databases, etc? Something that one could
learn cool new ideas from by just reading the documentation (assuming
documentation exists ;-)?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)