POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : G20 : Re: G20 Server Time
9 Oct 2024 09:55:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: G20
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Apr 2009 11:27:33
Message: <49d62ae5$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Saul Luizaga wrote:
>>> since reason and emotions are contradictory in nature
>>
>> I disagree with this.  I think emotions help us decide what we want
>> and keep us working towards a goal, while reason lets us balance the
>> different emotions and decide which ones to act on and how.
>
> Emotions definitely *do* have logic to them.

I didn't mean to imply they didn't. I was merely speaking about the results,
not the mechanism.  I was trying to express that reason and emotions work
together, not contradictory to each other. It's the emotions that are
contradictory to each other.

> I'd say that emotions are a set of logical heuristics. And, usually,
> they work quite well. But like all heuristics, sometimes they're wrong...

I don't know about "logical heuristics". Certainly "heuristics" tuned by
evolution.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)