POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team : Re: Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team Server Time
9 Oct 2024 05:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion to collect funds for The POV-Team
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Apr 2009 17:45:48
Message: <49d5320c$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> There's no guarantee he'd need to pay income tax on it.  I don't know
> what the tax law is in Australia, but here in the US, you can register as
> a nonprofit organization.  I suspect you can in Australia as well.

That's probably pretty expensive right there. :-)

> But if the contributions are low enough, they're not taxable anyways.  I
> know this is the case in the US - income < $600 doesn't have to be
> reported (I collected about $50 last year in book royalties).

Note that "doesn't need to be reported" != "not taxable".

> Financing development isn't really the issue, I think.  It's that Saul
> would like to give back in some way.  I think the sentiment is a good one
> with any "free" development effort.

A fund to help pay hosting fees, or against rainy days like the server
dying, would seem to be reasonable.  I don't know that there's any
reasonable way to split up donations directly to the contributors.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)