POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Laptop prices : Re: Laptop prices Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laptop prices
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Apr 2009 12:01:34
Message: <49d4e15e@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I do recall attempting to use volumetric photon maps and being unable to
> do so because POV-Ray swallowed several times the amount of physical RAM
> on the machine, and then attempted to destroy my harddrive.

That's the sort of thing I was talking about, yes. :-)

> Well, we'll see.

Well, that was for HP. Others may do it differently. My Motion Computing
laptop came with CDs that were the bog-standard XP install CD with a script
tacked on the end that prompts for the second CD full of laptop-specific
drivers and patches.

> I still dislike having to pay for the restore CDs myself. :-P

Probably cheaper than Dell manufacturing and shipping them. I.e., you'd pay
for them anyway, but it would be included in the higher price of the laptop.

> It looks like that's what my mum's Acer did. Does a complete backup of
> your harddrive - although I think you have to run the restore program
> from the PC. (So, if your HD dies, the backup is no use until you
> reinstall the restore program. Nice...)

Ick. That's silly, considering there's a full-backup program in Vista and a
restore program on the Vista CD they could have used.

> I just hope the laptop has more than one RAM slot...! o_O

It said it has 1x1G and 1x2G included. You *did* read the chart, didn't you?
Is that the one you ordered?

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)