POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Laptop prices : Re: Laptop prices Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Laptop prices
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Apr 2009 11:42:31
Message: <49d4dce7@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> POV-Ray is memory-sucking?

It does if you programmatically build scenes with lots of stuff in them.
Aren't there regular complaints about running up against the 2^32 memory
space in POV?

> (Depending on what you're rendering, obviously.)

Of course.

You're unlikely to use as much RAM with a Word document as you are with a
Menger sponge. :-) And your paging is likely to be much less with Word, even
if you do, due to the way you access memory in the two programs.

Or, more generally, it's not hard to write your own program that will use up
much more memory than you can use up using non-user-programmed software.

> Yes. Acer especially seems to like to do this. It's usually easy to
> remove all that stuff.

That's cool.

> (I *really* hope this laptop comes with propper restore CDs. I got an HP
> a while back, and rather than give you a restore CD, they make you go
> through the initial Windows setup process, and then order you to burn a
> drive backup to [several] CDs/DVDs. In other words, *you* pay for the
> cost of something to restore from, and you can't restore to factory
> condition.)

The restore CDs one makes this way are usually factory-condition CDs, not
just a backup. They're actually generating a CD based on the files on the
disk, not just making an image backup.

The more advanced versions of Vista have a "complete PC backup", which is a
very nice drive-image backup that will very simply do a full restore from
the boot CDs.

> The laptop comes with 2GB, and I've ordered an additional 2GB because it
> was cheap.

Oh. The link you gave (with the Italian) said it came with 3G. Extra RAM
never hurts, tho. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)