POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : stupid XP SP3...needs to piss off a little : Re: stupid XP SP3...needs to piss off a little Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stupid XP SP3...needs to piss off a little
From: scott
Date: 2 Apr 2009 03:17:59
Message: <49d466a7@news.povray.org>
> I am seriously considering just ridding myself of the windows scourge
> permanantly in favor of either OpenSolaris, Gentoo, Mono or Ubuntu, after
> imaging my windows HDD after a reformat and reinstall of all requisite
> apps, and then running that from within linux whenever I wanted to use
> something none of the nix variants support.

If you don't need any Windows specific software, and you're happy to learn
about a new OS then I see no reason at all to stick with Windows, you're
just wasting money.

> It is really just getting to the point where I can no longer justify the
> annoyance of running 'doze.
> I'd be happy to stay with xp pro...but MS seems hellbent on forcing the
> issue with pissta, and that I do not like..they seem more concerned with
> flashy doodads and humdinger thingamabobs than stable
> functionality...which is stupid.

Of course some people have different experiences, but I've been running
Vista for a while now as my main work machine (and at home) and have never
had any stability issues.  So far I've only found benefits, my big chunky
CAD application loads 5-10x faster than on XP (identical hardware) which is
a real plus for me.

Anyway, can you blame MS for wanting people to switch to their current OS?
The longer people keep using XP the longer MS have to support it, and that
costs money.  With Windows 7 around the corner I would imagine MS really
want to get rid of XP before having to support 3 OSs.

> I'd rather my OS freakin work and do so quickly than have some asinine
> glass interface crap,

Actually the new GUI uses your 3D card to draw the graphics, under XP your
3D card sat idle while the CPU did all the graphics...  BTW you can always
turn it off if you don't like it.

> and a kernel that requires half of my system resources.

I wish the kernel would use ALL of my system resources ALL the time.  What's
the point of 4GB or the fastest RAM sitting unused while the kernel
continues to load and save things from a slow HD?  I'm sitting here now on
Vista, nothing open apart from Live Mail and 4663 MB out of 8GB is "used".
I'm pretty sure the entirety of my CAD software is in that "used" figure,
along with every other app I have recently used.  This is a GOOD thing!

> This is what happens when natural selection has been so stifled that the
> population can be distracted for weeks at a time by small shiny objects.
> We get crappy a OS catering to subhuman feces hurling key-eaters.

Hehe, your SP3 experience is definitely not the norm, we had SP3 rolled out
at work a while back.  Maybe it's installing some driver update that is not
compatible with a certain piece of your hardware?  I think with some
googling and investigation work you could find out what the problem really
is.