POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : stupid XP SP3...needs to piss off a little : Re: stupid XP SP3...needs to piss off a little Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:27:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stupid XP SP3...needs to piss off a little
From: Warp
Date: 1 Apr 2009 14:31:30
Message: <49d3b302@news.povray.org>
[GDS|Entropy] <gds-entropy    AT    hotmail   DOT  com> wrote:
> I'd be happy to stay with xp pro...but MS seems hellbent on forcing the
> issue with pissta, and that I do not like..

  That's one of the problems with Windows: You are more or less forced to
submit to whatever whims Microsoft may have today. (The only other
alternative is not never upgrade your system, leaving you wide open to
any discovered security holes.)

  If Microsoft decides to stop support for XP today, in order to force
people to "upgrade" to Vista or Windows 7, who is going to stop them?
I don't think this would even fall under any fair competition or monopoly
law (such as for example certain DRM measures do, at least in the EU, as
Apple has found out), so there's no way any country can force MS to keep
supporting their own old OS by law.

  So basically your only option, if you want to keep using Windows, is to
feed money to Microsoft each couple of years. And you have not much choice.
Don't like a feature in a new Windows? Tough luck.

  It's not like Linux, BSD variants and OpenSolaris would be the perfect
OSes, but at least you are not force-fed anything, you have tons of choices,
and you are completely free (as in liberties and monetary cost) to try
whatever you want.

  As I commented in another thread, I firmly state that Windows and Linux
are *not* equivalent choices, as if it was a matter of taste which one you
use.

--
                                                          - Warp