POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL Brainstorming : Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming Server Time
1 Jul 2024 00:37:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming
From: John VanSickle
Date: 31 Mar 2009 21:43:18
Message: <49d2c6b6$1@news.povray.org>
moppel wrote:

> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> * Multithreading Support
>> POV is going multithreaded. An SDL that allows to multithread parts or maybe
>> even all of the parsing would be of benefit there. This might be particularly
>> of importance for animations.
>
> Actually, for animations it's not really so important. When rendering an
> animation, you can just run several instances of Povray, each rendering a
> different part of the animation. That's what I'm doing.

For longer length animations, I sometimes have used separate .ini files,
each one written to render half a second (12 frames) of the same
animation.  I then pass out the .INI files to different rendering boxes,
all of them writing the files in the same network drive directory.

> I only would have one feature request regarding animations: Please add a
> "DoNotRenderAgain"-Option or so such that frames are only rendered when the
> output file doesn't already exist.

I think POV-Ray already runs this way.  I've done more than a few
animation renders, and the frames that already have a complete file
don't get re-rendered.  I think the option "AlwaysRender" is more needful.

Regards,
John