POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ISS construction photos : Re: ISS construction photos Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:17:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ISS construction photos
From: Warp
Date: 30 Mar 2009 09:37:38
Message: <49d0cb22@news.povray.org>
clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Do these shadows seem parallel to you? NASA supporters claim the cameras had
> "wide angle lenses" that distorted the shadows. Why didn't NASA give them
> cameras that provide accurate images?"

  I find this one the most hilarious of all (not that they aren't all
hilarious).

  First he asks why the shadows are not parallel, and then he indirectly
admits that wide angle lenses make parallel things look non-parallel. So
he himself refuted one of his own claims, probably without even noticing.

  Moreover, how could you get parallel shadows in a photograph no matter
what you do? The concept of *perspective* should be rather clear to
everybody. If you photograph a pair of train tracks, aiming at the horizon,
the tracks will seem to converge at the horizon, ie. they will not be
parallel in the image even though they are in reality. Every single person
with an IQ larger than 50 and with the minimal amount of education knows
this.

  The only way you can keep parallel lines parallel in a photo is to
either align the camera to be completely perpendicular to the lines
(in this case aim it directly towards the ground), or use a really large
zoom, to minimize perspective. Neither option is, rather obviously, not
very practical in this situation. Nor would there be any reason for it.

--
                                                          - Warp