POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 29 Mar 2009 14:37:37
Message: <49cfbff1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 12:07:21 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2009 01:42:17 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>>Ironically, I read what I wrote again and should clarify that I don't
>>think teens sleeping together causes automobile accidents. ;-)
>>
> It can if they are driving, I would think.

Point.  But even sleeping separately while driving can cause automobile
accidents. :-)

>>Well, I'd say that *some* people are really bad at judging low-risk
>>activities.  But why penalize the rest of us for it?
>>
> Because everyone thinks that they are the exception.

80% of drivers think they're above average.  What scares me about that
statistic is that 20% think they're below average and they're still on
the roads.

> "tend to get off the phone" Does that mean that sometimes you don't?

Depends on the route I'm driving and how busy the road is.  I usually get
to the city after rush hour is over, so the surface streets are not all
that busy.  I also use a headset, both hands on the wheel at all times.

>>> Granted, if you don't realize that trying to type a text message while
>>> you drive is dangerous, you're stupid, but...
>>
> The same could be said for talking on the phone.
>
> After bumping my motorbike into a wall when parking 40 years ago after
> drinking 2 pints of beer. (The limit was considered to be 3 pints.) I've
> never driven after drinking and I like a drink. I also switch my phone
> off when driving, If I've left it on by mistake and it rings I ignore it
> then pull over to check it when I can.
>
> Have you ever heard anyone saying "I drive better after a couple of
> drinks"?

I have, and I think it's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard -
and I generally will tell people who say that exactly that.

That said, a good friend of mine (who lost his license as a result of the
incident) ended up with a shattered ankle after a head-on collision.  He
was over the legal limit, and the other driver died in the accident.  But
being the freak he is, it was 100% the other guy's fault - the other car
was over the centre line on a long curve and there's no way my friend
could've avoided hitting him.

The constables on the scene - as well as the dead driver's family - felt
badly for him because his license was suspended.

The guess is that the main reason he didn't die in the accident was
because he was relaxed as a result of the alcohol.  If he hadn't had a
few pints ahead of time, his injuries would probably have been more
severe or he might've died.

Jim