POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: Darren New
Date: 28 Mar 2009 12:13:46
Message: <49ce4cba$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Well, *most* of those illegal activities (with the possible exception of
> teens sleeping with each other) don't generally cause things like
> automobile accidents.  This is a generally different class of problem
> that we're talking about.

Fair dinkum.

> I think we've got enough laws to cover "reckless driving" without having
> to legislate "you can't eat a cheeseburger", "you can't talk on a phone",
> "you can't read a book".

I think part of the problem is that people are really bad at judging
low-risk activities.  People wouldn't know that talking on the phone is
dangerous if you didn't get the word out, and legislators get the word out
by passing laws.

Granted, if you don't realize that trying to type a text message while you
drive is dangerous, you're stupid, but...

I think that comes from when they pass laws saying "you can't talk on the
phone", but people don't want to adjust their habits of doing work while
driving.

> LOL.  My wife has a habit of writing on Livejournal after having had a
> bit to drink.  Her friends really enjoy those posts. :-)

It's funky. I have no problem at all, but even one or two mouthfuls of wine
are enough to multiply my typos several-fold. Clearly you can be impaired
and not feel it in the least. Whether it's bad enough to ruin your driving
depends on how well you drive before that, I guess.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)