POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Maybe in the future... : Re: Maybe in the future... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Maybe in the future...
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 26 Mar 2009 23:51:49
Message: <49cc4d55@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Yeah. Other than the fact that its no where "near" the detail level,
>> and you have no mesh generation/lathe functions, procedural texturing,
>> or "simple" means to add multiple colors, there is a lot of similarity
>> in what this showed and what SL uses.
>
> I understand you can import stuff from standard CAD package formats now,
> but I haven't tried it.

Umm. You can on some "variant" systems, like RealXtend. That one even
supports IK. But... As one person that was looking at using Legend City
for some work (cheaper, but its even worse with content theft than SL
has ever been) stated, "It looks like SL for people that don't want to
bother doing anything." lol I take it that they haven't gone to great
lengths to "design" anything spectacular in the world yet there, but..
the concepts they have added are interesting.

In general though, while adding some of the same stuff, including
flexible meshes (the code exists for it, but its not a "supported" SL
feature at this point), is possible, its slow coming, or not happening
at all. SL has, I think, grown too fast, with some sloppy data
management design, and most of the teams time has been spent, it seems,
squashing bugs in the existing physics, data management back end,
working out why things that worked fairly well a year ago don't do so
well now, etc. They could probably use a serious rethink on a "lot" of
the stuff they originally designed it around. And, all this glitches..
delay adding new features (not the least being because every time they
do add one, half the users scream, "Why are you adding this, instead of
fixing <list of problems>?".

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {