POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Re: [OT] Nostalgia / Was: Re: remove array element after N uses? : Re: [OT] Nostalgia / Was: Re: remove array element after N uses? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [OT] Nostalgia / Was: Re: remove array element after N uses?
From: Darren New
Date: 26 Mar 2009 12:23:50
Message: <49cbac16$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   How is that comparing a Macintosh with an AMD64? That's comparing the old
> MacOS with Windows.

It's comparing both.   Actually, all it's really saying is "stuff that took
a trivial amount of time 10 years ago still takes a trivial amount of time."

No surprise there, really.

I think his evaluation of what "modern office workers" do with their
computers is a bit naive. People do corporate taxes, payroll, budgets,
powerpoint slides, financial analysis, database whacking, SAP, CAD design,
video rendering for presentations, architectural design, etc. That's not
even counting stuff like Exchange that needs networking.

Of course, someone who really wanted to push an agenda would just say that's
  not "usual" office stuff, in the traditional "no true Scotsman" pattern.

>   It is possible to set up a PC so that it uses coreboot and a architecture-
> customized lightweight linux distro. You can get from power-on to the end of
> the boot sequence in something like 2 or 3 seconds.

Damn. I don't even get out of POST in 3 seconds. :-)

I hear Windows boots incredibly fast if you don't boot it off of rotational
media also.
http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/
Scroll about 1/3 down to the first barchart that doesn't look like a
screenshot. And that's with the full Vista bit, not hacking out every part
that your machine doesn't support at the moment. :-) Most of the speed-ups
in the Linux booting came from not waiting for hardware to initialize that
you knew wasn't there, as I recall.

I've been wondering lately at what size memory and disk speed it starts
being slower to come out of hibernation than just rebooting.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   There's no CD like OCD, there's no