POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Mar 2009 20:55:19
Message: <49cad277@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> From my understanding, it works pretty much the same;

So the facts the trial judge decides are worth aren't overturnable? I guess
I can see how that works, OK.

>> Rare that it goes all the way back to reversing the decision.
>
> Yeah, in the case of Stella (to whom you refer here), the verdict wasn't
> overturned, but the punitive damages awarded by the jury were, as I
> understand it.  That's not a question of changing the verdict, though,
> just the damages - and I was thinking criminal courts, in civil courts
> the procedures are a bit different because the threshold isn't "beyond a
> reasonable doubt", which is why you get things like OJ being acquitted of
> murdering his wife, but being convicted in the wrongful death suit that
> followed.

Right.

> I don't think it does, actually - I'll have to ask my wife what she was
> told.

Hmmm. OK. Could be. :-)  I would think how soon you can be called back to a
state trial after doing a federal trial would be up to the states, but maybe
not.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   There's no CD like OCD, there's no