POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Mar 2009 18:03:06
Message: <49caaa1a$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:33:12 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> What I was talking about is if the jury refuses to enforce certain
>>> laws that are valid laws, because the jury disagrees.
>>
>>   Can't the judge overrule the jury's veredict in some cases? Or is
>>   this
>> just Hollywood mythology?
>
> Only for innocence, not for guilt.

Just to clarify, I think what you're saying here is that the judge can
"set aside" a guilty verdict, but not a verdict of "not guilty".

IOW, the judge can't unilaterally decide that the jury erred and set a
guilty perp free, only that the jury might have convicted someone in
spite of the prosecution not actually proving their case.

Jim