POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: John VanSickle
Date: 25 Mar 2009 07:38:47
Message: <49ca17c7$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> http://sysnet.ucsd.edu/projects/staple/
>
>   "Of course, if Alice got a warrant, then she could probably force Bob
> to reveal the contents of the archive."
>
>   I have always wondered about this. To what extent can authorities,
> legally, pressure a suspect to reveal information that only he knows,
> when this information would prove his guilt?

Under the US Constitution, the answer is quite clearly "never."  A
defendant in a trial cannot be forced to testify against himself.

A corporation, on the other hand, has fewer rights than a person; a
corporation's records are subject to subpoena, and records thus obtained
can be admitted as evidence against the company.

Regards,
John
(who is not a lawyer)