POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I knew this would happen at some point : Re: I knew this would happen at some point Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I knew this would happen at some point
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Mar 2009 00:39:57
Message: <49c9b59d$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 00:40:00 +0100, andrel wrote:

> Then it
> is not about fact anymore but about how to play the jury.

The jury is responsible for determining the facts in the case, so the
presentation to the jury is very important for both the prosecution and
the defense.

The only exception to that that I'm aware of in the US is if the
defendant asks for a bench trial (meaning the judge plays the role of the
jury).  In the appeals process, bench trials are standard operating
procedure, again as I understand it - because the judge is responsible
for deciding if the lower court made a reversible error.

But in normal circumstances in the US, the judge interprets the law for
the jury, the jury determines the facts, and decides if the facts support
the charge based on the law or laws that the defendant is accused of
breaking were in fact broken.

The prosecution and the defense put together a packet for the jury,
though, that outlines different perspectives on the law.  The packets
from both sides are given to the jury to read and often you can't tell
which comes from who (they're not identified in my experience).

For example, the jury I sat on was for a drug case; the defendant was
accused of drug possession and possession of drug paraphernalia.  In the
packet that the jury received, there was a case history where the
defendant was acquitted of possession of drug paraphernalia because the
prosecution didn't prove intent to use.  According to the judge (whom I
spoke to about this after the case was over), the inclusion of this
particular case history is common from defense attorneys because it could
be seen to set a precedent, even though the law clearly states that it's
possession and not the "intent to use" that defines whether the accused
is guilty of that particular crime or not.

In this particular case, ironically, the charges that were brought were
not what the prosecution (or the cops) were hoping for; the cops had been
led to believe that they had manufacturing equipment in the apartment for
crystal meth, but they didn't find any.

I think it's a shame people try to get out of jury duty; it's actually
quite fascinating, at least I think so.

Jim