POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Mar 2009 03:12:49
Message: <49c49371@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   And it's getting really tiresome and old that you act all innocent after
> a tirade of C++ bashing,

Can you do me a favor, for the sake of future conversations?

Can you tell me what I said that you took to be "a tirade of C++ bashing"?

As far as I can see, I've been trying to be factual and honest. You started
out using derogatory terms like "it's a kludge", and "that's BS", and
referring to people as "self-taught hackers" and "use a fancy term instead
of admitting their mistake" and "In Utopia, maybe" and the usual insulting
hyperbole.

Where did I say anything derogatory about C++? I would like to know what I
said about C++ that you took to be saying C++ is *bad*. Can you actually
quote what I wrote that you took to be "C++ bashing", let alone a "tirade"?

As far as I can see, the conversation (once it got to be about modularity
instead of minimalism) went something like
You: "Modularity is good. Breaking modularity is bad."
Me: "Yes. But everyone breaks modularity in different ways.
    CLOS breaks it by doing A
    C# and Java breaks it by doing B
    Python breaks it by doing C
    C++ breaks it by doing D
    I prefer B over D."
You: "D doesn't count. C++ doesn't break modularity."
Me: "Wild pointers."
You: "Doesn't count - not standard."
Me: "Memset"
You: "Doesn't count - non portable."
Me: "But it still happens."
You: "You're so mean, always bashing C++."

So, in all honestly, I'd really like to know where in the process I said
something that "bashed" C++, rather than simply comparing its behavior with
other languages and explaining (in detail) why I preferred the other mechanisms.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)