POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : No-win situation? : Re: No-win situation? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:23:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No-win situation?
From: Chambers
Date: 21 Mar 2009 00:23:02
Message: <49c46ba6$1@news.povray.org>
On 3/20/2009 11:28 AM, Tim Cook wrote:
> Basically, it grudgingly admits that IE8 is a little bit better in a
> particular aspect, then dismissing it as irrelevant, where with any
> other browser, any speed increase would be trumpeted as the greatest
> thing since sliced breat (especially if it were for a Mac).

It IS irrelevant.

7 years ago, I switched to Opera because it was "the fastest browser on
the web."  Back then, that really meant something.

Today, though, I don't give a flying lip lock on a horse's dong whether
one browser is a fraction of a second faster than another.  Computers in
general have gotten so fast that it's a (mostly) solved problem.

IE8 trying to claim superiority because it's faster than the competition
is like those graphics cards that have 10 bits per channel instead of 8.
  While there's no denying that it's better, most would be hard pressed
to justify the cost.  Now, 32bit floats for every channel are so
dramatically better, that it makes a difference.  In the same sense, if
IE8 rendered pages in a fraction of a second, rather than merely a
fraction of a second faster, it would be something to crow about.

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com