POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : No-win situation? : Re: No-win situation? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 07:03:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No-win situation?
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Mar 2009 14:57:54
Message: <49c3e732@news.povray.org>
Here at work everybody is fed up with Vista by its own "merits".  I
didn't even need to advocate Linux. :)

6 years in the making for a horrid tragedy as far as TI infrastructure
go.  Yesterday a guy was installing printer drivers in the machines.  It
got installed in 3 and then stopped going on, he simply wasn't able to
continue the installation.  I don't know the details, still just one of
lots of inexplicable issues with a hurried migration where someone
probably received some good amount...

Many problems seem to be related to nationality settings.  Even though
it's set to pt-br here, many apps seem to prefer the english language or
something with mixed results.  For instance, IE7 doesn't seem to find
some documents when opening them:  I go through the file dialog, select
the document and it gives a message that d:\users\foo\img.png doesn't
exist.  In pt-br that path is written differently as
d:\Usuarios\foo\img.png.  I think that lies the problem.  Yes, they
actually gone insane on the translations and I guess it frakked up the
system.  Oh, they do also translate the Excel functions, sum -> soma etc...

Sadly, they are on the hope that Windows 7 will fix everything.  On a
side note, open-source advocating has never been stronger here and
several tools are being seriously considered to replace the eternal
cycle of forced upgrades.  There are people analyzing substitutes for
Visual Studio (the Express version don't cut it, but it seems
SharpDevelop will get a green light) and Java presence is getting
stronger (sadly).

IE8 is a lot better than IE ever was, even standards compliant (which is
really more important than being zippy).  It's too late, too little,
though...