POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 19 Mar 2009 22:19:26
Message: <49c2fd2e@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> No. Making it safe and not making everything public and not needing naming
> conventions is best. That's what CLOS does, modulo reading the source and
> invoking interpreter-internal routines with the names of private
> variables. That's what C# does, modulo the reflection libraries. That's
> what C++ does, modulo using pointers and UB.

That's not a good comparison.

C# has a way to access private data through reflection. Python has a way to
access private data by just doing it (but you'll know you're doing it
because there is an underscore).

C++ has no way to access private data. If you say pointers and UB are
a "valid" way to access private data, then I'd say attaching a debugger to
the .NET virtual machine and poking at its memory is a valid way too.