POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Mar 2009 18:31:54
Message: <49c2c7da$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Actually, I thought it ended in C++ because that's the only unsafe OOP
>> language I know of.
>
>   I can't understand if that means "I haven't studied unsafe OOP languages
> other than C++" or "to my knowledge there are no other unsafe OOP languages".

There are few other unsafe OOP languages I know enough about to discuss. Ada
and C++ are the only unsafe OOP languages I know, and I don't know Ada well
enough to know what bad code is erroneous and what bad code is simply UB in
Ada.

>> It's the only language I know where the compiler
>> attempts to enforce modularity but in practice fails to do so, by declaring
>> violation of modularity "undefined" or "compiler-specific" rather than
>> catching all cases of broken modularity at compile time or runtime.
>
>   Then you don't know much, do you.

Possibly. What OO languages do you know of where the compiler attempts catch
all violations of modularity at compile time but in practice fails to do so?

>> I was trying to figure out how well-documented modularity breaking is a
>> "kludge" but poorly documented unsupported modularity breaking isn't.
>
>   The connection between my usage of the word "kludge" and your usage
> of the words "unsafe" and "reflection" is purely your invention.

OK. I was confused by the fact that your post had
1) A paragraph about how CLOS allows access to the private variables,
2) a comment about languages lacking data hiding aren't really OO,
3) a lack of specific support for hiding means the OO is kludgey.

I leapt to the conclusion that in 2 and 3 you were actually talking about
the same thing as you were talking about in 1. That was a bad assumption,
and started me arguing that CLOS has a reasonable degree of modularity built
in.

If you weren't talking about CLOS in 2 and 3, I'm not really sure why you
quoted (1) there.

If you *were* talking about CLOS, I'm arguing that there isn't to my
knowledge any OO language that does a better job. And none that I know of
that use "private:".

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)