POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Mar 2009 17:59:09
Message: <49c2c02d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Actually, let me ask this. Since you seem to be saying that reflection means
>> that an OO system is a "kludge" because it breaks modularity
>
>   In fact I said that trying to emulate OOP in a language which has no
> direct support for OOP is a kludge. The only thing I said about reflection
> is that IMO it breaks modularity and thus you lose many of the benefits of
> modular design.

Fair enough. I misremembered precisely what you said, and went with the
logical implication that seemed to follow.

I'll still disagree that emulating OO with closures in LISP is a kludge,
because other features of LISP provide direct support for changing the
language to support other features directly. Once you hit that meta-level of
support, it's a whole new ball of wax.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)