POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:22:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Mar 2009 15:58:29
Message: <49c2a3e5$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> Because, every once in a while, the provider of the library wasn't
>> omniscient.
>
> You can also try another library. ;)

Well, yeah.

> You can see from this thread that while it began with CLOS, it ended in
> C++ because of its tons of private, protected, friend and other
> schizophrenic access mechanisms leading to complicated interfaces and
> behavior for modules.

Actually, I thought it ended in C++ because that's the only unsafe OOP
language I know of. It's the only language I know where the compiler
attempts to enforce modularity but in practice fails to do so, by declaring
violation of modularity "undefined" or "compiler-specific" rather than
catching all cases of broken modularity at compile time or runtime.

I was trying to figure out how well-documented modularity breaking is a
"kludge" but poorly documented unsupported modularity breaking isn't.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)