POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Arrrgggh! : Re: Arrrgggh! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arrrgggh!
From: Darren New
Date: 19 Mar 2009 14:07:42
Message: <49c289ee$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Yeah, I always knew there was *something* brain-dead about pasting Excel tables
> into Word...

Actually, if it's small enough, it works in a way that seemed quite
intuitive to me. Especially after I peeked at the help pages.

> I gave up a while ago, and resorted to pasting the contents into a pre-sized and
> pre-formatted table with at least *one* row more than I'm about to insert, and
> after the paste operation copy the format from that one untouched row to the
> pasted-in ones to fix the formatting again...

Ah! I hadn't thought of the extra step of pasting just the format from the
untouched row. That probably would have worked too. However, when I did
that, I found it put extra spaces from the excel sheet into the cells,
meaning that they wrapped in a way I wasn't allowed to let them wrap
(because the table columns had to fit the predefined field lengths).

In Word 2003, at least, just putting the cursor right after the table
enables a menu option that says "paste appending to current table" or some
such. It pastes it in, and then there's a lightning-bolt thingie that offers
to format it the same as the destination table or to keep the source
formatting, defaulting to the former.  And then you can get the footer on
there just by "split table" first, paste in, then delete everything between
the foot and the new table and you're golden.  Easy, *when* it works.

(And I spent 20 minutes figuring out how to insert 1200 blank rows, too. :-)

> What's been annoying me most is that Word *does* seem to adjust the table
> formatting according to the Excel table format, there's *nothing* you can do
> about it, while the adjusted format *never* seems to bear *any* similarity with
> the Excel formatting whatsoever (that would be *something* at least).

If you paste it into cells, that's true. If you put the cursor right after
(or before) the existing table and paste, it formats it correctly.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)