POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Warp
Date: 18 Mar 2009 17:58:14
Message: <49c16e76@news.povray.org>
> > http://warp.povusers.org/FunctionParser/
> >
> >   And by "totally" I mean literally write everything from scratch. And
> > no external code breaks. That's the nice thing about modularity. It allows
> > me to do that safely.

> And then someone comes and says "Gee, parsing this function each time is
> adding too much overhead. We need to store that structure in a database. And
> then we need to calculate it at the server and then ship the bytecodes to
> each client."

  That's a hilariously bad example because in order to get the object from
the database you will have to make a database call, which will parse its
internal structures (perhaps even directly from disk), after which your
object will be constructed from this parsed data. I would be really surprised
if that's not an order of magnitude slower and resource-heavy than re-parsing
the function.

>   And you're either screwed, or you bypass the private part to
> make it work knowing you'll break on the next release of the library.

  And exactly how would making the private members public help this?

> >   I disagree. There's no modularity if you can't enforce access rights.

> And you can't enforce access rights in C++, because nothing prevents wild
> pointers from clobbering anything in memory.

  You are nitpicking, and you know it.

  If you write normal, standard-conforming C++, you can perfectly well
enforce access rights.

--
                                                          - Warp