POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Warp
Date: 18 Mar 2009 17:28:55
Message: <49c16797@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > 1) I write "private:" once in my class definition.
> >
> > 2) I write extensive documentation about the subject and hope people will
> >    read it and obey it. Many people won't.

> You missed this one:
>    3) You name your private variables with the naming convention used by
>       every other package ever implemented in that language, including
>       the ones that define the runtime, and which every programmer knows
>       bypassing means future incompatibility.

  I still prefer option #1. It's not like it would exclude option #3, so
you get the best of both worlds: Clarity in naming conventions, *and* the
compiler checking the integrity of the interface.

> >   And what's wrong with the compiler telling you if you try to use it
> > regardless? I really can't understand that.

> You already know you're using a private variable, if you're bypassing either
> global naming conventions or using reflection or something.

> If the compiler actually *prevents* it, then you're locking yourself out of
> a whole bunch of metaprogramming techniques that templates aren't adequate
> to handle.

  And if you don't prevent it, you are locking yourself out of ever trying
to improve your module (without breaking tons of existing code).

--
                                                          - Warp