POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:33:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Mar 2009 17:06:49
Message: <49c16269$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> 1) I write "private:" once in my class definition.
>
> 2) I write extensive documentation about the subject and hope people will
>    read it and obey it. Many people won't.

You missed this one:
   3) You name your private variables with the naming convention used by
      every other package ever implemented in that language, including
      the ones that define the runtime, and which every programmer knows
      bypassing means future incompatibility.

>   And what's wrong with the compiler telling you if you try to use it
> regardless? I really can't understand that.

You already know you're using a private variable, if you're bypassing either
global naming conventions or using reflection or something.

If the compiler actually *prevents* it, then you're locking yourself out of
a whole bunch of metaprogramming techniques that templates aren't adequate
to handle.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)