POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: nemesis
Date: 18 Mar 2009 16:31:06
Message: <49c15a0a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escreveu:
> nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I'm sorry, but that simply doesn't follow.
>
>   Why not? Having the compiler check for breaking of agreements (eg. "don't
> access these variables") is much better than oral agreements. The compiler
> is much better at catching mistakes than you are.

Now I (think I) understand the root of our disagreement.  I'm thinking
about functional programming here with only functions accessible per
interface, you're thinking about what variable can be accessed and
whatnot in a severely mutable setting.  It all becomes really hard when
you allow state to dominate.  So hard that even very experienced
programmers can face dificulty handling it all, thus having to invent
all sorts of levels of accessibility rather than just rely on lexical scope.