POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Darren New
Date: 18 Mar 2009 16:19:12
Message: <49c15740$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Increased productivity... until the day that you actually need to heavily
> change some module because of new requirements or improvements, and you end
> up breaking thousands of lines of code which are carelessly using public
> members as they please.

In languages other than LISP (say, Python or PHP or whatever), this is
handled by having a naming convention saying what variables are to be
treated as private.

I'm not sure I see the benefit of "I use private: in my C++ classes" to "I
put an underscore before private names in my classes."  Other than a touch
of readability (which many C++/Java/etc programs violate by tacking things
like "m_" to the front of every member variable) I don't see a whole lot of
difference.

Certainly if should-be-private members are exposed as public but don't
document to the user which are private, that's a problem.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)