POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Warp
Date: 18 Mar 2009 15:33:53
Message: <49c14ca1@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Yes.  Straight-jackets are generally viewed as a limiting "feature" by
> people who actually know how to program rather than being a low-paid
> drone.

  No, data hiding is seen as "limited" by self-taught hackers who don't
know jack s**t about programming. Those people just can't understand what's
the idea, and want everything to be accessible.

>  What really amazes me is when very smart programmers actually
> enjoy being in the jacket and ask for more. :P

  I enjoy being able to create modules which I can safely improve later
without the fear of breaking existing code. And I'm talking from actual
experience, rather than theorethical handwaving.

> The best I've ever read on the subject comes from Larry Wall:
> "The trend over the last 25 years or so has been to design computer
> languages that enforce a state of paranoia. You're expected to program
> every module as if it were in a state of siege.

  What a load of BS.

> Of course, such attitude would not stand the barbarism going on in
> enterprise by thousands of code monkeys typing a bad rerun of
> Shakespeare, but for one guy or 2 in the know alone working on a private
> project, giving up all bureacratic measures for you not to shoot your
> own foot may lead to an increased productivity with no sensible bug issues.

  Increased productivity... until the day that you actually need to heavily
change some module because of new requirements or improvements, and you end
up breaking thousands of lines of code which are carelessly using public
members as they please.

  Of course rather than admit their design mistake, they will just use some
fancy term for this, such as "refactoring".

--
                                                          - Warp