POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Feature request: Adjacent objects handling : Re: Feature request: Adjacent objects handling Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature request: Adjacent objects handling
From: CShake
Date: 18 Mar 2009 11:38:37
Message: <49c1157d$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> In terms of *coding*, solution B seems to be the most *elegant* and
> straightforward. I suppose it would tackle automatically all possible cases.
> Solution A though, leaves some latitude to the user for tweaking things one
> way or another... Overall, I prefer solution B.
>
> Like Carlo suggested, it seems that you are well-provided for doing this :-)
>
> [I have some - and very ancient (Fortran 77) - experience in coding, so I
> always look at this with interest.]
>
> Thomas

I would agree with B, for two main reasons: 1. It seems like a more
realistic model, 2. It requires no change in existing SDL code (and
existing coding habits of people)

One potential issue in using this method is that many people tend to
define their pov 'base unit' differently, some with the whole scene
bounded by box{-10,10} while others could have a wine glass itself 200
units tall.
I propose that when the epsilon value (min intersection distance) is
set, it could be determined in a somewhat variable sense:
1) Set it to the standard 1e-6 by default and let the user change it in
global_settings{}, call it 'coincidence_distance' or something. I think
this would be best.
or
2) Set it to be a function of some aspect of the scene during parsing,
be it the largest finite object, the distance between the camera
location and look_at, sky sphere radius, whatever. This might not work
because you'd want to use the value before the scene is fully parsed.

cshake