POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is the sort of brokenness... : Re: This is the sort of brokenness... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:14:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is the sort of brokenness...
From: Warp
Date: 18 Mar 2009 03:51:05
Message: <49c0a7e9@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> More than that, Common Lisp has CLOS:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Lisp_Object_System

"Like the OO systems in most dynamic languages, CLOS does not enforce
encapsulation. Any data member (or slot) can be accessed using the
slot-value function or via (optionally auto-generated) accessor
methods."

  Your definition of object-oriented programming may vary, but in my view
data hiding, ie. modularity, is an integral part of OO programming. If the
internal structure of the object is exposed to the outside, you lose most
of the benefits of modularity.

  I think that the typical impossibility or difficulty in data hiding in
languages which do not have specific support for modularity is a sign that
the "OOP" is, after all, just a kludge.

--
                                                          - Warp